June 19-24, 2018
Beginner and Intermediate
What is it?
The underlying root cause of our suffering is our mental afflictions such as attachment and anger. And our mental afflictions come from our distorted view of reality. This distorted way of viewing things leads to craving and attachment to the things we like and aversion to the things we don’t like. This in turn often leads to frustration when we don’t get the things we want, dissatisfaction when they don’t live up to our expectations and due to our aversion the level of our discomfort and suffering that we experience increases.
During this six-day retreat we will
- Establish the correct view of reality in terms of the three marks of existence and emptiness;
- Learn and practice various vipashyana meditations to help us overcome our distorted view of reality. Our vipashyana practice will be primarily based on the view of emptiness as presented by Arya Nagarjuna; and
- Learn practices of loving-kindness and compassion to ensure that our vipashyana practice is balanced and effective.
Vipashyana practice is about correcting our distorted way of seeing things, not just intellectually but also experientially. So that we can be completely in sync with reality and thereby not induce any suffering.
Here’s a video from a recent vipashyana retreat led by Glen:
Who is it for?
This retreat is suitable for both beginners and those already established in the practice.
- Learn how we have a distorted view of the world: our thoughts and responses are merely appearances even though they appear solid. As Lama Yeshe said, “Question appearances.”
- Learn how to practice detachment from the appearances that arise and thus have a less roller-coaster mind and a more constructive relationship with the world.
- Learn how we can relate to others with more compassion and an understanding of common-ness because all of us are struggling with the same appearances.
- How to See Yourself as You Really Are, by H.H. the Dalai Lama
- Please plan on arriving between 3:00 and 5:00 PM on the first day of the retreat
- Please plan on departing approximately 2:00 PM on the last day of the retreat
- Consider reviewing our accommodations
- For more detailed information, please see our FAQ
If you are interested in serving as Course Liaison for this retreat, please apply here.