In our helping roles, we are called to constantly extend care to others, yet this often comes at a cost to those in helping professions. How can we learn to extend care in sustainable ways?
March 10, 2017 – March 12, 2017
What is is?
Sustainable Compassion Training is a method designed to help all people who care for others within their family, work and community life realize a power of unconditional care from within that is deeply healing and sustaining. Contacting this power helps us become more fully present to ourselves and others, and nourishes a strong, active form of compassion that is not subject to ’empathy fatigue’ and burnout.
Sustainable Compassion Training highlights our need to experience ourselves as objects of care and compassion in order to extend care and compassion widely to others. For those purposes, Sustainable Compassion Training meditations cultivate three interrelated modes of care.
These modes are:
- receiving care
- extending care to others
- deep self-care
In this two-day workshop, we will:
- Explore the science of care and compassion
- Practice methods for receiving care, extending care, and enhancing self-care
- Learn techniques to relieve stress, avoid burnout, and become more present to others, by connecting with a replenishing source of care in ourselves
- Consider ways of strengthening our compassion practices in daily life
- Please plan on arriving between 3:00 and 5:00 PM on the first day of the retreat
- Please plan on departing approximately 2:00 PM on the last day of the retreat
- Consider reviewing our accommodations
- For more detailed information, please see our FAQ
If you are interested in serving as Course Liaison for this retreat, please apply here.