Employment and Work-Study
Working and Growing
We are first and foremost a spiritual community committed to helping retreaters and staff develop their minds. By joining our team you will
- Offer your talents and skills to an organization dedicating to serving others
- Nurture a sense of service within yourself
- Participate in a mindful and contemplative work culture
- Stimulate your mind by having access to staff classes and our regular program
“I feel as if I have found a precious little oasis, where I have the opportunity to work, study and practice amidst an enchanting redwood forest. The atmosphere is one of tranquility and serenity, which I find are very good conditions to cultivate a peaceful mind. Serving a Buddhist community feels very rewarding.”
Living in community in an isolated place creates long-lasting friendships and a real sense of teamwork. Co-workers feel more like family. Everyone contributes what they can above and beyond what is required. The “family feeling” Lama Yeshe spoke of still lives on and prospers at Vajrapani Institute.
What we are looking for
Ideal candidates will
- Possess strong communication skills
- Be content with rugged and rustic conditions
- Be comfortable with prolonged relative isolation
- Have a mature personal spiritual practice
- Possess an attitude of altruism and generosity
- Be proactive and organized
Being a Buddhist is not a requirement for working here. We welcome practitioners from all traditions.
Living in the Forest
Camping is the main option for work/study volunteers. We have a number of campsites that ensure relative comfort and privacy. Occasionally, a housing option may open up, but this is rare. The weather from May to September is usually quite warm and temperate.
Study the Dharma
Our staff and work/study participants are welcome to attend any of our programs if it doesn’t conflict with their work schedules. Make sure to mention ahead of time what programs you are most interested in so we can try to make arrangements for you to attend. We have an extensive library with many out of print books, as well as a video library of teachings and documentaries. We have senior practitioners on the land and on staff that are available for interviews and discussions.
Apply for Work/study
Work/study volunteers are asked to make a three-month minimum commitment.